Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Williams Reading for 1/25/07


I really enjoyed the reading for this week that we did in William's book Preparing to Teach Writing. I consider myself a writer and hope to someday be a published author. I also enjoyed writing classes the most during high school and college, especially fiction writing. I hope to be able to teach comp and fiction writing in my own classroom in the near future.

While reading through chapters three and four in William's book I didn't find much of the information new but I did find it to be reinforcing of the ways in which I want to incorporate writing into my own classroom. I am very familiar with the workshopping process, which I have used effectively in every fiction writing class I have ever had, and feel that it is the best way to get students to really think about each others work and begin the revision process. I feel that this type of writing environment is best for the students because most times their peers can offer them advice and suggestions that the student themselves would have never even thought of on their own. It can also help students who have writers block and are unsure of how to proceed with their writing. As a writer I believe that the best help I can receive if I'm stuck is to talk about my writing to a peer and listen to what suggestions they have.

I also appreciated Williams run through of the different stages of the composing process. Even though I was familiar with and have successfully completed all stages of the composing process in the past, it helps to have a reminder of each individual stage and suggestions for how to best implement it into the classroom.


Below you will find a link to a website that goes through the steps involved in writing an essay. The website is pretty simple but will be helpful for students who might not know or remember the components they will need to compose an essay.


No comments: