Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Grammar Hell

After reading William's chapter six I am apprehensive once again of the topic of grammar. I have never been a big fan of grammar learning and I didn't even know how I would go about teaching grammar to my students. I was a bit confused about what Williams was trying to get at in his chapter. He claims that most problems in writing are due to problems with usage not grammar itself. I think he was advocating for teachers to teach correct grammar usage to their students.

However, there are many students who don't know grammar at all and I still think that it is an important thing to teach. If a student doesn't know what a semi-colon is for, for example, then the student probably needs a lesson in grammar. If I have student who is constantly using commas incorrectly, then we have a usage problem and I would more than happy to help them learn the correct way of using it. I guess I just didn't understand what Williams was trying to say in his writing. He kept coming back to the fact that none of the ways of teaching grammar helps students in their writing. I would be more interested in hearing more about ways of teaching grammar that actual helped students learn. I still think that having a solid, basic knowledge of grammar along with correct usage is important. In my English classroom, though I think the aspects of writing that would be most vital to me is making sure that my students are getting their ideas out onto the paper, not whether they used the "correct" sentence structure or not.

My website for this week is a site filled with what I'm sure Williams would deem as useless grammar help and definitions.
http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LeShon,
I agree with your criticism of Williams. Although he does a nice job of pointing out the difference between grammar and usage, he offers no suggestions to improve the grammar instruction that he describes as "tedious" and "meaningless." I hope that the Dean and Petit readings (from WebCT) were more helpful in providing possible ways to incorporate grammar instruction into your classroom. Both authors have a much more optimistic tone than Williams.

Anonymous said...

LeShon, that last comment was written by Candance