Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Writing with a Purpose


While reading "Responding to Audience:Using Rubrics to Teach and Assess Writing", I found myself focusing not so much on the rubric aspect of the Memoir Writing Project discussed in the article but more on the fact that the students in the project were writing for a purpose. The writing that the students were doing was to write a diary that next years' freshman would be able to read and think about and I think having a purpose in writing makes a huge difference.

We have discussed rubrics in our teacher preparation classes before and have gone over and over assessing writing, therefore the rubric of the aspect was not that appealing. What I liked most about the Memoir Writing Project was that these students were going to actual be using their writing for something substantial. I think to many time teachers assign their students writing assignments and preach about audience and focus yet these papers are only read by the teacher, maybe a couple of peers if the teacher decides to allow workshopping in class. I think writing something that is actually going to be used will make the students more excited about writing and more conscious of the way they write.

I remember in middle school, our teachers had us all write letters to Mayor Sharon Sayles Belton. In the letters we were supposed to discuss what we liked about Minneapolis, what we wished would be changed, and then ask the mayor if she would come to our school for a visit. Writing that letter was the most exciting assignment that we did the whole year and I remember all of my friends being incredibly excited about writing it and in the end the mayor did come and talk to us about Minneapolis. My point is that writing shouldn't always have a hypothetical audience but sometimes we should give our students the chance to write for a living, breathing audience.


My website fot this week is a site students can go to for helpful writing tips:
http://www2.actden.com/writ_Den/tips/contents.htm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LeShon, I think you are so right on with your evaluation that writing for a purpose makes all the difference. I thought the same thing while reading this article. I’m a huge proponent of assigning authentic tasks for students but sometimes have a hard time coming up with them. I was observing an ELL class today and the student’s homework is to write a thank you letter to a visitor they had in class a couple of times. It’s great to know that authentic assignments that students actually care about are out there – we just have to assign them!

Anonymous said...

Hello LeShon. Your comment about having an authentic audience for writing is very important especially in terms of motivating students to revise. I thought that this website below might be helpful as you plan writing assignments in the future. It may not be as exciting as having the mayor come to your class, but it may work as incentive for some of your students.

This website provides a variety of online sites where students can publish their work.
http://www.noodletools.com/debbie/literacies/basic/yngwrite.html
I hope that it is helpful.
Candance